Monday, November 24, 2008

Quick Question: Antral Follicles

I've heard some others mention getting their antral follicle count at the baseline, u/s #1 at the start of IVF.

Did ya'll?

I've also been a nerd & checked out the success rates based on the range of antral follicles prior to stimming.

If they don't offer up the info, I'm gonna ask... but I wanted to find out if that's normal procedure {or} if they just kinda tell ya everything's fine to start your stims & how much to take.

Also, our 2nd u/s will be Dec1 after 3 days of stims. I guess at that point they'll tell me what to take & have me in for another u/s after 2 or 3 days of stims? Did any of ya'll have to go like everyday or only if you were a quick responder?

Just questions. Feel free to pipe in about your experience.

Lupron shot not so bad today. I think he's getting used to just darting the needles in & that doesn't even sting... compared to a slow shot.

10 comments:

Petrucia said...

Hi there!
I just went today for my baseline u/s and the doctor wasn't even there, just a technician, measuring everything. She didn't even mention any antral follicles. I've seen some people mention that in their blogs, but she didn't say anything and I didn't ask.
I start stimming on Thursday and only go for my first monitoring on Monday, 5 days later.

Just Another Mother said...

I had my baseline u/s today too. Mine was a little earlier than day one (I took my last BCP this morning). My doc had never pointed them out before, but he did find just a few (2 or 3) on each ovary. I go back and forth with wether that number is good or bad. It's still pretty early for me considering AF hasn't even shown up yet, but some people seem to have a lot more even at this point. I'm hoping more will grow over the next week.

I am a total hypocrite when I say this, but try not to get inundated with the details. It will drive you nuts! Trust me, I know (my post today is all about how I obsess).

Anonymous said...

My doctors will give me as little - or as much - info as I ask for. Some women seem to see a pretty seriously correlation between the number of visible antral follicles & how many they develop while stimming, some - like me - seem to pick up steam as they go along, and end up with way more than they had as antral follicles. Don't worry about it. It's one more thing to obsess over, for no good reason at all - take it from one who knows!

Good luck!

Angie said...

I didn't ask about the antral follies and the RN didn't say...my 1st u/s was day 5 of stims, but looking back, I think that was too long because I was a slow responder, and if we would have went earlier, we could have increased meds sooner rather than later.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I had to look back:
I started sims on 10/16
I did E2 on 10/20
I had my b/w & u/s on 10/21
I went back fr b/w & u/s on 10/23
I went back fr b/w & u/s on 10/24
I went back fr b/w & u/s on 10/25
Triggered 10/25

I don't know about antral follicles. They only measured follicles over a certain width (12 mm?). And depending on who called you back, they wouldn't necessarily give you measurements.

Good job with the shots!!

Virginia said...

yes. they told me my Antral follicle count at my baseline appointment. And yes, I was a fast responder and (surprise to me) started to have to go to the clinic daily during stims.

Jeanne said...

I saw your countdown...

Best of luck with your IVF!!!

Jeanne

Hope2morrow said...

The baseline just ensures there aren't any cysts. They may measure follicles, but it is hard to get an accurate count because it changes after your cycle ends.

With the 3-day check, they just try to get an idea of how you will respond to the meds, but you will have frequent appointments throughout the stimming process. Just keep in mind that this is for a good cause!

Best of luck!

JJ said...

My IVF nurse always did the baseline--I didnt know to ask the first time, so Im not sure what it was--she just noted in my chart it was over 10. The second time she had to be sure to count, since we were trying to qualify for the shared program, and that was the last piece of the puzzle. I would definitely ask, but dont worry about it if they shrug it off, or say below 10--those little buggers can plump up so fast!

Mo said...

To give you a sense of how misleading antral follicle count can be, my first IVF, I had 4-6 on each ovary (so max 12, right?). After stimming, they retrieved 22 (!!!) eggs. 2nd cycle they said I had 5-10 on each side. They got 10 eggs. Go figure.
Hang in there. Try not to sweat the details. I agree with Just Another Infertile, try not to sweat the details. It will make you crazy. Of course, way easier said than done.

Mo
www.lifeandloveinthepetridish.blogspot.com