Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What Would You Do?

Got another call back from the nurse.

She said she talked to my doctor.

On the one hand, we do have 5 good sized follicles. On the other hand, we only have 5 good sized follicles.

The decision is up to us whether or not to cancel. We can stop the drug right now & start the birth control as soon as my cycle starts back up.

She said instead of the Lupron, we'd use the antagon protocol. She said they do actually see an increase in the number of eggs, but that {of course} they don't know if they'll see an increase in our number.

She said it would be best to make that decision tonight & that seems so stressful to me. I have class tonight & was planning to take the shot there. So, instead of being able to talk with Nick about this & make this decision... I feel pressured to make this NOW.

This was better timing, since I get some holiday hours with Christmas break. I start classes back up in January & will probably have one of the hardest semesters so far & I'm sure it would be too much to juggle driving to Jax & back, taking shots, the time needed off for retrieval & transfer. And, if it worked, my due date needed to be tailored more to school, too.

My #1 concern is that we DO pay out of pocket. If we stop now, I'd have 20vials of Bravelle (donated, once/lifetime deal) & 5 vials of Menopur that we can use for the next cycle. And, the money we've already paid would be applied for the next cycle.

But, if we do cancel this one, I am not sure we'd realistically be able to cycle again until the end of next summer. And at that point, I'm 8mths older & we still won't know if I can produce more than 5 or 6 eggs.

Now it's deciding if I just want it this bad & not thinking realistically or not having faith or how horrible I'll feel if we don't even make it to transfer if we do continue this cycle.

Oh my. I just don't know what the BEST thing to do is. So, what do YOU think? I promise I won't hold anyone at fault or liable, but just wondering what others would do...

The nurse said if it were her, she'd stop & start again the next cycle.

12 comments:

Steel Magnolia said...

Baby sista - I feel your confusion and uncertainty. If you aren't planning on freezing any embryos, or aren't counting on that I would go for it. (My fertile myrtle donor had 25 eggs and 10 liked my husband's sperm enough to develop, and we're trying our third and final cycle with frozen babies.) If you aren't hyperovulating and she's ceasing your cycle because of that, go for it. Granted you're going to have to make a decision that jives with where you are right now. Just breathe and know whatever decision you make is the right one for you right now.

JJ said...

Whew, that is quite the pressure to have to decide NOW. Do you have a GUT feeling? Are you able to talk to Nick on the phone right now? I dont want to tell you what to do either way, sweetie. Just pray about it a lot and trust that whatever decision you make is the RIGHT one...it will be OK. call/text me if you need me!

Mo said...

So so tricky. You've got to follow your gut on this one. you're in your 20s so you have age on your side but I know that 8 months can seem like a lifetime (we last cycled in Feb and the wait to now was excruciating). Go deep and listen to what your heart tells you. and then trust whatever decision you make.

Mo

Just Another Mother said...

I can only speak from my experience. During my first IVF cycle I was really dissapointed with only five eggs at my first check. I didn't even get a chance to try with those five because one took off and left the others behind so they cancelled my cycle due to a dominant follicle. I was on the long lupron protocol that time.

This time I am doing the antagonist protocol and I had 7 eggs at my first stim check (not many more like I hoped). I have totally shifted my perspective. If I had five eggs for retrieval and no lead follicle, I'd be jumping for joy. We pay out of pocket too, so I know money plays a role, but stimming is not easy for me, so we'd even be considering trying retrieval if I have at least two this time. Crazy!

This is just from my experience, everyone is different and can respond differently on other tries. Good luck with your decision.

Sarah said...

I don't know...I think I would do keep going with it, but that's just me. SO so sorry for the added stress. This is hard enough already!

Anonymous said...

It only takes one good one but I know the money is an issue - This was my exact situation in August. I had 4 eggs on long lupron and 13 on antagonist - will find out maturity and fertilization report tomorrow but ... that is my experience. I agree with JJ - go with your gut but be sure to pray and ask God to help you make the decision. He will come through - ALWAYS. Good luck.

Nadine said...

SO you're looking for opinions so I tell you what I would do, I would cancel, and do acupuncture, yoga, omega 3's and everything else ever shown to help eggs for 6 months and go for another kick at the cat, unless you've already done all these things in prep for this cycle, then I would move ahead with it.
All decisions are right, none are wrong, and for the record, I would have went ahead with 5 eggs because my doc told me I would be lucky to get 3 or 4 because of the severe endo, because 5 would have been a good show... what did you're RE say to you before doing this cycle?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been following your blog because I also have endo (stage 4) and started an antagonist cycle of IVF on Dec 1st so I'm right behind you. My Dr. said from the get go that he'd be happy if I produced 6 eggs. I go for my day 5 ultrasound on Friday. I think if I were in your situation I would go forward with this cycle for a couple reasons 1. your school schedule. 2. No telling that another protocol would scrounge up anymore eggs, endo is notorious for not being able to produce a lot of eggs 3. In 8 months your eggs will be 8 months older in the big picture it doesn't seem like much but let's face it 8 months for a fertile person isn't much, but 8 months for someone who has a damaged reproductive system only means that there will be more severe damage in 8 months (that amount of time will make a difference, I think) 4. with endo you don't have a large quantity of eggs, but you're young so you have quality eggs!
I say go for it, but like the other said you need to trust your gut and go with your heart. I wish you the best of luck and everybody else too!
Happy Holidays,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Go with your gut. Talk to your hubby. Five is not terrible. In fact, I would KILL for five! :) In my opinion, your biggest risk is none to freeze.

You know me...apparently I'm a gambler on these infertile things, but I was just so done with treatment. I would have been okay with the outcome either way. I just needed closure. One last hurrah before me moved forward with adoption.

Hoping that whatever you decide to do that you have a peace about your decision.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I honestly don't know what to say. At this point you've probably already decided...

But I would probably go for it. I had such a hard time doing a freeze all, and the waiting just sucks... and all it takes is one. But at the same time, cost, out of pocket, waiting...

I don't know. Age at least is on your side, so 6 extra months might not matter too much.

Praying for you.

~~HUGS~~

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Hey, nice to meet you. Looks like I also only have 5 (last time 10!). But I'm hoping those 5 are EXCELLENT quality :)

I would go for it - it only takes 1.

Last cycle a lady had 2...2 eggs....both fertilised...now pregnant! And me with my 10....6 eggs...1 fertilisation....chemical pregnancy...BFN

Mrs. Pierce said...

hmmm..lots of good points on here. contrary to popular belief, age is not as good a predictor of fertility as some would think. i'm only 22 and dr said my eggs acted "old" and none did well enough to freeze. but in your situation, i truly know how much your life demands play a part in planning, so if the timing is better for now, i would go ahead. everything happens for a reason!!! good luck either way.