Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Review of IVF Consult

Yesterday found us waking around 5:30ish in the morning to embark on our 3hr drive to the clinic. I drove. Ugh.

We got to the hospital parking lot around 9:15. Walking to the hospital from the elevators was already LESS stressful that the 1st time. See, there's no signs at the hospital with our clinic's name on it. The 1st time there, we happened to look confused enough that a staff member asked if she could help us... "Umm, yeah, we're looking for FIRM." Thankfully, she knew where it was. In the women's pavillion! Ugh.

So, this time we at least knew where to go. Check.

Went in the right door. Check.

Signed our name in. Check.

(I do DISlike the fact that you sign your name, walk away, then the receptionist opens the window, & quickly grabs the clipboard. Weird.)

Called our name & went back. I was surprised at how busy it was behind the scenes. To explain a bit better, our very initial visit was in Tallahassee. The second was the SA. So, we hadn't been behind those doors until yesterday.

The first nurse?/tech?/assistant? snapped my picture... ya know, to verify it's me in the future. Although, at no time did they ask to see my license to verify I was the person I said I was. Hmm. Then I got my "mini" vitals done + weight. Ouch.

Then we waited a few minutes to see the IVF nurse. I don't know if they rotate around, but I didn't meet with the same nurse I've been in contact with since May. That sucked. But, this one was nice. She basically read through the IVF packet that I'd already poured over. Then reviewed some mixing of the shots & had us practice. Then explained the mock transfer.

We headed to an exam room where we got to talk to the Specialist a bit. That was nice. I expected just the ultrasound & mock transfer, but not as much talking. So, pleasantly surpised. Not so pleasant during the procedure. (I mean, really, do they HAVE to crank the speculum like 6 freaking inches wide?) Everything checked out just fine.

Then we headed to the financial person who reviewed the same info we'd already discussed many times. Checked out & was charged $15 more than they told me it would be last week. Still gonna call & see on this.

Since we could either order the meds through Schrafts (well, that's who they mostly deal with) or the hospital's pharmacy downstairs, we just headed downstairs. Waited 20 or so minutes & left with needles, Menopur, & the hcg. Will be ordering the Lupron, ABX, + progesterone here locally, since I am hoping my insurance will cover some of it.

The Bravelle will be donated to us since we meet the qualifications for that. So, we'll get 30 vials of that once we return on Nov26 for the IVF start.

Some items of note:
** we will probably start the stims on Nov26. I had previously been told that we will start either Nov27 or Nov28. So, a couple of days earlier.
** the sharps box is SOO cute! :)
** the meds estimated by the clinic were like 15-20% more expensive than their estimate.
** they say to do the Lupron shots on the side of the hips. I always thought it was just belly.

So, we drove home with meds, heavy hearts, & many thoughts on our mind. We've got lots of praying to do & much to decide on.

But, I'm really thrilled about the steps we are taking. I sure do hope in a year, I will be holding a sweet baby in my arms. And I will KNOW it was worth it.

Will be dropping by everyone's blogs to comment, but wanted to get this bit out there! :)

4 comments:

Christi said...

you can do lupron in the belly or the thigh, I do the thigh...

GOOD LUCK!

I Believe in Miracles said...

It sounds like a good visit. It's always tough to handle an overwhelming visit. Warning -- it doesn't get easier until you've gone through a full cycle. At least that's my opinion.

I did lupron in the belly prior to my baseline and then I switched to the thigh when I did sims in my stomach.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to bounce any ideas off me, just having sort of been through it.

***HUGS***

Hope2morrow said...

I think they snatch the clipboard up because it is against privacy for others to see others' names on the list.

Sounds like the appt. went well! Why were your hearts so heavy? Just so much to process?

Faith said...

Sounds like you guys got a lot of good information. I did the Lupron in my stomach, but our RE told us we could do hips, too.