Thursday, October 16, 2008

Freebie!

Found this link on my FAVORITE deal website (Deal News)

click here: FREE Starbucks Cappaccino

3 comments:

Christi said...

cool. I wish I could have caffeine. :( no caffeine allowed for me!

Jen said...

Hi Rach,
Your state laws might vary a little bit but in a homestudy, they're really only looking to make sure your home is safe and sanitary, that you live a pretty normal lifestyle and that you have room for a baby. It doesn't even have to be a room as a nursery-just somewhere where a baby's crib would fit.

Our caseworker told us that if your house is a total pigsty, that's not normal. But if it looks like a museum, that's not normal, either.

Basically she checked that our pool was fenced, that the windows out to the area where the pool is were properly secured, that we had a place to put a crib and that our home was sanitary. So none of our renovations change any of that so she wouldn't need to reinspect it.

Some states also check for things like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers, but I think that's about it.

Hope that helps!

Jen said...

Oh Foster restrictions are a lot more strict. Our caseworker told us that the difference is, in the case of Fostering, the state is the legal "parent" so they state can make decisions/mandates about living conditions, home environment/safety, disciplines, etc. In adoption, you're the parent, so they can't tell you how to parent any more than they can tell a biological parent how to keep their home. Hoping you can get a clear list of expectations in plenty of time. We had a Christian agency/caseworker too, and it made a big difference. I remember stressing a lot about the visit to the home, and in the end I was almost underwhelmed--there was so much she didn't even look twice at. I really think the anxiety is worse than anything.