Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Anybody Been There? Frozen Oocyte to Embryo Transfer?

My heart is beginning to lean more towards using the oocytes/unfertilized eggs from IVF#2. And, by the end of the calendar year.

I have Google-ed frozen egg repeatedly, so I'm not confused about the process. I am, however hoping to read more personal experiences... as rare as this is, I'm having a hard time finding blogs or articles from real people that have been through the fertilization, day two transfer, & potentially the pregnancy.

The paperwork we signed when we authorized the oocytes to be frozen reviewed all of the possible genetic "issues" babies born from our clinic's frozen oocyte program. The percentage is that of the normal population's conception rates. But, this is still considered experimental as it has not been done as long as frozen sp.erm or embryos.

I guess I'm a bit concerned with that?? They do recommend amniocentes.is if a pregnancy were to result.

I called the clinic to ask some questions that were basically answered with "That would be up to the doctor", BUT my sweet IVF nurse asked our doctor to call me & he did.

I learned some new things. We have five frozen oocytes frozin a 3-pack & a 2-pack ;)
The 3-pack consists of 2 mature oocytes, whereas the 2-pack consists of 2 immature oocytes. I thought all of them were mature, so that was new.

If we were to continue with this cycle, the plan would be to thaw the three mature & attempt fertilization. The clinic's protocol is to do a day 2 transfer then. I requested possibly a day 3 or day 5 & the doctor was open to at least day 3 & talking about considering day 5 if we really wanted to. If there are no resulting embryos or no pregnancy, then we'd move to another fresh cycle when we are ready.

We have some potential insurance changes that could extend the life of our fertility treatments, so when we are ready emotionally & physically to do a fresh cycle.. it is possible. Not sure if I ever will be, but that will be okay, too.

Our script for the estrogen patches + PIO are already completed. Once I get the "ok" from DH I will order them. We would have to buy 20 patches out of pocket, so it'll make this more expensive than I expected, but nothing compared to what it could be!!

Kind of getting excited. I feel more optimistic about this than I did about IVF. Not sure why, but it could also be just how I feel today.

Thanks for checking in!

3 comments:

Morrisa said...

Good to hear from you. I don't have any answers for you but I wanted to let you know that I am reading. AND I am jealous of your insurance coverage ;)

Ashley Gregg said...

Hi there! We have never done a frozen oocyte to embryo transfer, but probably will be doing this the next time around. We also only created as many embryos as we were willing to use so we only have eggs left. I had severe OHSS so I'm not sure that the benefits of a fresh cycle outweigh the risks of an egg retrieval. It will also probably be less expensive if we do it that way...I think. We have to pay cash for everything so this is a pretty big factor. Still trying to decide. We are getting ready to have our first appt with the RE to ask questions and make a plan for our second IVF etc. I'll let you know what the conclusion is.

We also had a successful first round of IVF. Our daughter was born July of 2009. Its scary facing IVF #2 knowing that the success of IVF #1 was a total miracle.

I Believe in Miracles said...

No clue, but hoping it goes well for you!!!