Still doing some selling on Craiglist. We are definitely getting rid of stuff. By the end of this week, we'll have a couple more hundred dollars to add to the savings.
This weekend I had a rotation on the pediatric floor. A sweet baby girl on the first day. I was in heaven holding her for those hours that day & decided I WOULD be able to adopt a child. That I would be okay with it. I know money is still a huge issue, but we are just being open to wherever we are led.
Of course, I'm thinking this about this sweet girl. Somehow her mom knew I was trying to have a baby. I told her we either had to adopt or do in vitro. And then she says, get this, "Yeah, she was almost an adoption baby." Like so nonchalantly. It really broke my heart. I heard later that some of the nurses were talking about a mother that was going to give the baby up, but when she found out it was a girl she decided to keep her. She didn't seem to care to hold the baby, bathe the baby, etc... & she could have allowed a loving couple adopt her & give her all that love.
Made me sad, weepy, & slightly angered... but thankful for the opportunity to hold & snuggle her a bit. She was so tiny!
Sorry this is all so boring still!
Surgey in less than a week & I'm not *too* nervous about it yet. I guess I'm just overwhelmed that this week I'll be putting in 50 hours M-F, then another 15+ hours during clinicals this weekend. I'm drained!
Hope all is well in blogosphere! :)
Grateful Fest 2026
1 week ago

13 comments:
I went through the same thing before we did IVF ... I wasn't sure how I felt about adoption, but one day I was just watching tv and this commercial came on with this adorable baby in it, and I just knew that I could adopt a child. I knew that to me being a mom had nothing to do with genetics, and everything to do with love. I wish you luck getting to your goal of being a parent.
(Here from NCLM)
Hubby does gaurdian ad lidem for the courts, and deals with children all the time. He loves the work, and I think because of his work, he has always been open to adoption. I think it maybe nice to adopt a child someday, but for right now it is not right for us.
Wishing you all the best.
Here from NaComLeavMo. Good luck with the fundraising! I'm in the middle of juggling many listings on craigslist myself... don't know how people ever got along without it.
It's amazing how an interaction we need just sort of comes to us sometimes. It's great that you had the chance to hold that baby. Although, it makes me so upset when people who don't really want kids decide to keep them, and then neglect them, and then the children grow up to be a mess and have all kinds of problems. . .sorry, I'm ranting in your comments! But, an issue near and dear to my heart, unfortunately.
Good luck with the surgery. I hope it all works out really well for you.
What a beautiful awareness. I am new to reading your blog but am amazed by your savvy fund raising skills. I am going to keep my eye on you guys!
Best of luck with the surgery-I hope you will get plenty of time to recover.
Here via NCLM
Wow so brave of you to be able to hold a child (I've never held a baby - I can't do it). Sounds like that was a really really rough time, so strong of you to be able to do it.
I agree. I totally could have adopted. Ironically, I was more concerned with my family treating the child differently that my sisters biological children. I was looking at adopting an older child so my biggest concern was that having missed the first 3-5 years of the childs life that the bond would never be there. I'm sure it wouldn't have been an issue if it was a baby....
I have to say I'm shocked that someone would give up/keep a child based on what sex it was. Maybe I'm just naive?
The snuggle, the smell of the baby... it is so addictive and beautiful...
I'm so sad for that poor baby! I'm glad the experience helped you make a decision about adoption, though.
Good luck with your surgery!!
Hey, thought I'd let you know that Google disabled me. figures...
good luck with the surgery!
here from NaComLeavMo
So sad. Glad you got some time to snuggle! Good Luck on your journey!NCLM
I didn't find that post boring at all. I thought that it was quite touching. I just wanted to wish you luck.
Post a Comment